Between work parties, family gatherings and dinner parties with your friends, figuring out which dish you’re going to bring can be challenging. Let’s face it, a lot of the foods being served can be heavy, high in sugar and do not always fall within your nutrition regime. I hear from so many of my clients that the holiday season can be a challenging one, but if you work with me one-on-one, you’ll find that I never preach the all-or-nothing mentality as it sets everyone and anyone up for failure for the future. Small indulgences is 100% healthy and can actually help build sustainable eating habits that get you closer to your goals alot quicker (while maintaining your sanity). The key to it all is balance. That’s why I recommend bringing a healthy dish to a party that you’re excited to share and enjoy. This chickpea and pomegranate salad is the perfect dish to make this weekend. It’s bright, festive and has a perfect balance of flavours – tangy with a little sweetness.
The ingredients in this salad are loaded with beneficial nutrients such as vitamins A, C, E and K, antioxidants, healthy fats and minerals such as magnesium, zinc and potassium. With so many vitamins and minerals, this dish contributes to your health in so many ways. It’s anti-inflammatory, improves digestive health, balances blood sugar, boosts the immune system and contributes to skin and hair health.
Chickpea Pomegranate Salad
Prep time: 20 minutes. Serves: 8
- 3 cups – cooked or canned chickpeas
- 1/2 cups – red onion, minced
- 1 – small clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup – finely chopped cilantro
- 1 cup – chopped tomatoes, deseeded
- 1 cup – chopped cucumber
- 1 cup – pomegranate arils (seeds)
- 1/4 cup – extra-virgin olive oil
- 2.5 TBSP – apple cider vinegar
- 1 – lemon, juiced
- 1 TBSP – pure maple syrup
- 1/4 TSP – ground cinnamon
- 1 TSP – ground cumin
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Add all ingredients to one bowl. Mix well
- Cover and let the salad sit for a few hours in the fridge. This will allow all the flavors to infuse together.
Share your holiday spread with me on Instagram (@maya_nutrition).
This article previously appeared on www.memorymorsels.org.